Reporting an Absence
Every day counts! School success starts with attendance.
Parents/guardians must email the attendance at firstname.lastname@example.org to provide detailed information regarding your students’ absence or tardiness by 8:00 AM each day.
Absences or tardies not reported to the Derby attendance office will be recorded as unexcused (please note that sending a note to your child’s teacher does not excuse your child). Please send an accompanying doctor’s note if appropriate.
BPS ATTENDANCE POLICIES
EN Excused - Nonexempt
Parent called in the absence within 24 hours. The reason for the absence is not outlined as one of the factors in the attendance policy to make the absence exempt. Examples include travel, participation in sports outside of BPS, and illness without medical documentation. EN absences count toward a student's total number of missed days of school.
EE Excused - Exempt
Parent called in the absence within 24 hours. The reason for the absence is supported by the factors outlined in the attendance policy (one of the reasons below).
The Board of Education considers the following factors to be excused – exempt reasons for time missed at school:
- illness with medical documentation
- recovery from accident with medical documentation
- required court attendance with court notice
- death in the family
- observation or celebration of a religious holiday
- other absences that may be deemed acceptable by the Superintendent or designee
- religious instruction according to M.C.L. 380.1561(3d)(3e) (See Policy 5223)
If you happen to have appropriate documentation for prior absences, please provide them to Robin McIntyre, Attendance Secretary, at email@example.com so records can be updated. If needed, you are able to check PowerSchool at any time to see how many absences your child currently has. (If you need PowerSchool login information, please contact Robin at RMcintyre@birmingham.k12.mi.us)
If a student demonstrates a pattern of excessive absences, the following steps will be taken:
- 7 days absent in one or more classes = email to parent or guardian
- 10 days absent in one or more classes = letter mailed to parent or guardian
- 15 days absent in one or more classes = meeting with parent/guardian and student to develop an attendance plan
- 20 days absent in one or more classes = meeting with parent/guardian and District Truancy Officer
- 25 days absent in one or more classes = District Truancy Officer completes Oakland Schools referral and submits to Oakland Schools Truancy Program